Friday 20 March 2015

Pressure Test #1

Before building the engine and elevator mount I decided it would be a good idea to actually test whether or not the idea I had for stopping leakage around the shafts would work.  Unfortunately, it didn't work, but I'm glad I found out now rather than 10 meters underwater.


The pressure chamber built from 100 mm PVC and a bike tyre valve.
20/03/2015

Turning up the screw cap in order to hold the shaft in place.
20/03/2015

The shaft and oil impregnated nylon seal.  The idea is that a clamping force from within the sub will push into the nylon and seal it.
20/03/2015

Here the shaft is using the pressure inside the chamber (15 - 20 psi) to hold it in place against the nylon.  It seals perfectly (with a little grease) but now the force required to turn the shaft is far too impractical.  There's no way it could be turned by depressing rudder pedals or a hand driven wheel unless it was geared drastically.
20/03/2015
Another option which I'm now looking into is dual lipped oil seals.  After a few experiments I'll see if it's a winner.
Dual lipped oil seal

No comments:

Post a Comment