Tuesday 12 January 2016

Battery Compartment #2

I finished off the battery compartment yesterday.  It holds both batteries perfectly and now I'm undercoating the front interior.  As far as I know, that's all the welding needed at the front, but I'm not going to do the full overcoat until everything has been completed.

Fig. 1.  Here I'm cutting the brackets to the curve of the hull so that they can be welded.

Fig. 1.
11/01/2016

Fig. 2.  Now I'm ready to weld it in place.  I haven't much room to move as I weld, and it gets very hot in there...

Fig. 2.
11/01/2016
Fig. 3.  Both ends are welded.

Fig. 3.
11/01/2016

Fig. 4.  I got in there with my drill and wire disc to clean all the surface rust off the steel ready for an undercoat.

Fig. 4.
11/01/2016

Fig. 5.  The first undercoat is done.  I'm thinking of using electrostatic painting to help the top coat of paint get an even cover.  While I painted I had to use a pipe from the outside to breath through, and a vacuum cleaner helped suck out the fumes too.

Fig. 5.
11/01/2016

Fig. 6.  A quick look at what color the top coat will be.  The final coat won't be applied till the whole sub is done.  I wanted a bright warm color to help reflect the light around inside.

Fig. 6.
11/01/2016

Next I'll be finishing off the Elevator & Diving Controls.

No comments:

Post a Comment