Tuesday 22 December 2015

Elevator & Diving Controls #6

Fig. 1 & Fig. 2.  I've made a slight design change to the controls.  I changed out the cables for a simple, flexible steel rectangle.  The reason being that, with the cables, when the lever was rotated it would change the shape of one end of the cable loop putting more tension on the cables, making it harder to achieve it's full range.  So reluctantly I replaced it.

Fig. 1
21/12/2015
Fig. 2
21/12/2015

Fig. 3.  Here is the first loop.  It's much stronger than the last one (though I really liked the last one, it was cool...) and it offers a larger rotating range.  It also leaves more room for the next loop for the other handle.

Fig. 3
21/12/2015

Fig. 4.  Here's both loops completed.  They do need some edge tidying though.  Once it's done I'll take it all apart, smooth and curve the edges then paint them so they're ready for the final assembly.

Fig. 4
22/12/2015

Fig. 5.  The second slider in place.

Fig. 5
22/12/2015

Fig. 6.  Here I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to weld the second handle on so that it lines up with the first and will also clear it as it rotates.  It ended up being a fraction too close, so rather than re-welding it, I took and extra 5 mm off each of the aluminium handles to make them 50 mm long.  Now there's plenty of room.

Fig. 6
22/12/2015

Fig. 7 & Fig. 8.  All done and ready to do the finishing touches like edge smoothing; painting and laser cutting the final perspex board to hold it to the sub.  After that, it'll be time to mount it in the sub and get ready for rigging up the elevators.

Fig. 7
22/12/2015



Fig. 8
22/12/2015

A video of this system in operation.


Tonight I'll be smoothing the edges of all the steel, and depending on the weather, I might paint them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment